Sunday, September 19, 2010

Craft projects......

Well, I haven't blogged in a while.  Mainly because I really don't think I have much thats interesting to others.  Since I only have one follower (and I know who you are) I guess it doesn't matter!  HAHA!  Anyway, I thought I would share my most recent craft project.  I am the craft organizer for our local MOPS group which means I have to come up with crafts every month that 50+ ladies get to enjoy.  This month I chose resin coasters however, I could only find a few sets of directions on the net that described how to use resin and make the coasters.  All the directions mentioned costly products to make the resin coasters so I pretty much had to make up my own.  I first set out to find a round disk that would be the base for the coaster.  After looking at several craft stores it came to me.  The lids of ball jars!  At 1.50 per doz I felt that I could afford enough for two per person and remember there are 50+ ladies.  I then had to seek out the resin.  Not knowing how much each coaster was gonna use I looked for the biggest container Michaels had a 32oz container for 29.99 for which I had a 50% off coupon.  Yay!  I also picked up some little decorations to add to the assortment of goodies I have for decorating the coasters.  Each person was asked to bring two pictures, which they could use or not use according to their personal creativity. I also wanted to save money on the waterproofing part so instead of Modge Podge I used Elmer's glue.   I started with a piece of fabric and glued it to the ball jar lid I then glued the pictures and some stickers to the fabric and coated it with Elmer's Glue.  After letting it dry for an hour I mixed the resin in a baby food jar 1oz to 1oz.  I stirred until the resin was well mixed and began applying it to the base.  It dried over night and voila, Resin Coasters!

I thought they turned out pretty cute.  Although I think the fabric was a bad idea.  Ill use paper from now on that isn't see through!

No comments:

Post a Comment